Sports & Recreation Division of NFBNJ
The purpose of this organization shall be to:
- serve as a division of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
- encourage the blind of New Jersey to become involved in sports and recreational activities
- to achieve the integration of the blind in sports and recreational activities on a basis of equality with the sighted
- to serve as a vehicle for collective action by the blind
- to operate as a mechanism through which blind and sighted persons interested in competitive and recreational sports and activities on a national, state, local and personal level can come together to plan and carry out programs to improve the social and physical well-being of the blind of New Jersey
This organization shall not be merely a social group, but, as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind, shall actively work to promote the social and physical well-being of the blind.
Membership is open to those that are interested in competitive sports and athletic activities as well as accessible cultural events on an equal basis with their sighted peers.
By paying annual dues and being an active member of the division, you have the privilege to make motions, vote, serve on committees, be elected to a board position, and receive messages through our email listserv. The majority of our membership is blind, but we also welcome interested sighted individuals who share our philosophy, interests, rights and responsibilities. Joining the Sports and Recreation Division means that you are also a member of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey and the National Federation of the Blind.
We post our upcoming meetings, events, and activities on our online calendar. The calendar can be viewed at www.nfbnj.org/sports-and-recreation-calendar.
In June 2018, we created the New Jersey NFB Book Club. Since the first meeting, we decided to make the book club meet on a quarterly basis. So that we have a general idea of who to expect, please complete the Book Club Registration Form. For additional information, please visit the Sports & Recreation Calendar & More page.
The division conducts monthly conference calls via phone. For a schedule of monthly calls and times, please contact President Linda Melendez at 732-421-7063 or email@example.com.