New Jersey’s BELL Academy (Braille Enrichment for Learning and Literacy) and the Parents of Blind Children of New Jersey (POBCNJ) have hooked up with NFB of Illinois (NFBI) and the National Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB) to offer a nationwide contest opportunity to New Jersey’s children, from Kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Start reading on December 15th.
- Each interested student must have a certifying official (parent, teacher, etc.).
- Registration forms can be submitted up to February 18th.
- There are five grade categories: K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, & 9-12.
- Contestants compete to read the most Braille pages, going against other kids in similar grades across all participating states.
- Participants record Braille pages read in the seven weeks between December 15, 2017 and February 1, 2018 on a reading log.
- The certifying official must submit the completed reading log by February 10, 2018.
- Prizes in each grade category are: first $25, second $15, third $10.
- Every contestant, whether winner or not, will receive a “goodie bag” containing Braille-related items at the end of the contest.
- The complete contest rules, registration form, and the reading log form are available on the NFBI website, http://www.nfbofillinois.org
- Both the registration form and the reading log form will be submitted by each certifying official as an attachment in an email to Deborah Stein, NFB of Illinois, who will act as the contest administrator.
In addition to awards in the five grade categories, the Kelly Doty Award is given to a student who has met unusual challenges in order to learn and read Braille. Such challenges include, but are not limited to, having other disabilities in addition to blindness or being an English language learner. If applicable the certifying official needs to note on the registration form that the applicant should be considered for this award.
Competition is a great motivator, and Braille readers truly are leaders!
If you have any questions, feel free to contact either Robert Gardner, Chair, NFBI Braille Literacy Committee:
phone: 309-236-6606, or
Deborah Stein, Contact Administrator, Nationwide BRAL Contest for Kids